fastadvert.com - make money with your website

Saturday, June 18, 2011

Exposing the Unique Fabric

The diversity of this nation’s unique fabrics will never run out of exposure, just as what is done by a well-known designer namely Merdi Sihombing. This North Sumatran man has for a long time concentrate himself on traditional fabrics and gives solemn care towards the preservation of culture along with its craftsmen. The artistic blood flowing strongly within him has brought Merdi to the world of fashion, a place where he can let out all of his creativity through fabrics and  designs.

“When talking of fabrics, Indonesia comes as an everlasting and magnificent resource. Since the beginning, I already have the aspiration to boost Indonesia, and during the start of my career in the fashion world I saw that in Indonesia there were only a small number of designers who play within the ethnic specialty, and so I decided to enlist in the designer school of Bunka and Esmod,” explained Merdi when met at his residence in Southern Jakarta.

His decision to become a designer who is consistent in exposing traditional fabrics has not always brought him a smooth ride. Often times he is faced by the market demands those are in oppose to this designing principles. “When I first made a designer collection, many disliked and rejected my works, thinking that my designs were bizarre and were not like other designer works,” he reminisced.

However those obstacles he faced when entering the fashion world never brought him down moreover changed his course. For him to adjust and follow the market demand is the same as losing his identity, for as a designer he wishes for his works to be seen as something original, unique and different.

“I am thrilled to find uniqueness of each region, just like when I first exposed “Forbidden Baduy”.

I believe that was the first exposure of Baduy in Indonesia and the world. I did my research by residing there, and since I also have the proper knowledge on textile, it was effortless for me to get in the exposable fabrics and to tell a lot about them,” elaborated the man who has won an award from the international designer community.

This designer whom studied textile in the Jakarta Art Institute (IKJ) also demonstrates his care for the environment. He remembered back in his campus days in IKJ, he was so enthusiastic to learn the natural coloring subject. “I had an intuition and saw many things. I also read that plants have been used as coloring material since a long time ago, and during my visit to Baduy, I saw how much they take care of the environment,” he explained seriously.

The wisdom of local culture to preserve nature seems to have slipped away from the minds of many. Therefore long before the issue of global warming became a significant matter, this man has already began to mobilize the environment friendly program by using only natural colorings in the manufacturing process of his fabrics.

Merdi’s fascination is needless to question. After exposing Baduy as his first line of collection, he also brought the Batak ulos fabric into the national and international fashion shows. He feels as an Indonesian, he has the unwritten obligation to participate in the preservation of cultural heritage.

“The collection of Batak Ulos emerged from my restlessness towards the Batak traditional textile. In reality, there are many wove fabric workers with immensely various types of works, but it’s starting to fade with the shift of era and the fact that ulos is not worn as mush as it should anymore. I face this as a challenge. In making one ulos cloth, many textile processing are engaged, including the tied-woven and songket,” this story-telling designer said.

In the work of the Batak Ulos, he was supported by a foreign party that was also concerned about the environmental issue. Even to date, after he managed to expose the Batak Ulos, as a manifestation of his social responsibility, he continues to give management and guidance for ulos workers for their development. He plans ahead to form those small industries into one collective entity.

“Every time I explore one fabric, I give all I can, such as figuring out how technology can support the traditional woven cloths, ideas, and color composition. This is done of course with the approach acceptable by the workers. I also tutor the use of thread and natural colorings, considering that this is an almost forgotten richness and dedication is required in building this,” claimed this man who intends to found an art center in his hometown.

1 comment:

  1. I am thrilled to find uniqueness of each region, just like when I first exposed “Forbidden Baduy

    ReplyDelete